Mr. Andrew Gong
M.B.B.S., F.R.A.C.S., F.A.Orth.A.
People suffering from hip and knee conditions often struggle to live with the pain and discomfort. Not only can this elicit physical issues, but it can also be a source of emotional distress.
The incapability to execute ordinary functions, including walking, bending and standing, can be extremely disabling, leading to feelings of burdening family or friends who are depended on for assistance with everyday activities.
Mr Andrew Gong is an experienced orthopaedic surgeon, he understands and sympathises with these challenges.
He is dedicated to providing his patients with the highest standard of care in the treatment of hip and knee disorders, to help them improve their quality of life and regain their functionality and independence.
Meet Mr Andrew Gong
Mr Andrew Gong is an Orthopaedic Surgeon based in Melbourne, Australia. He completed his medical degree at the University of Melbourne and his Orthopaedic Surgery training through the Victorian training program.
He has a specialist interest in minimally invasive surgery of the hip (anterior and posterior approaches) and advanced technology knee surgery, and he has undertaken additional training in this sub-specialised area of surgery.
The anterior hip surgical approach is a more challenging operation to perform in theatre but offers patients a range of benefits, including a smaller scar, no cutting of muscles, less post-operative pain, faster mobilisation and hospital discharge, and quicker return to work.
Advanced technology knee surgery (computer navigation, patient-specific jigs and robotics) may also offer patients enhanced recovery and quicker discharge.
In addition to joint replacement surgery, Mr Gong also specialises in sports medicine, performing routine knee arthroscopy and ACL reconstructions, as well as arthroscopic reconstructive shoulder surgery.
When Mr Gong is not practising, you can find him enjoying skiing, running and playing soccer.
Mr Andrew Gong?
Mr Andrew Gong is a highly respected and experienced orthopaedic surgeon in Melbourne and is one of the leading specialists in the field
He is an expert in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions such as arthritis, degenerative joint disease, joint replacement, sports injuries, and other orthopaedic conditions.
He is committed to staying current on the latest advances in orthopaedic medicine and regularly attends courses and conferences to stay informed. He provides the highest standard of patient care and utilises evidence-based techniques to ensure the best outcome for each patient.
- FRACS (2005)
- Registrar Training: Victorian Orthopaedic Training Program
- MBBS (Hons) (Melbourne, 1996)
- Canada: Hospital for Sick Children – Paediatric Fellow
- UK: The Great Western Hospital – Hip & Knee Fellow
- VIC: Austin Hospital – Ortho/Trauma Fellow
Areas of Expertise
- Hip & knee joint replacement
- Computer navigated and robotic knee surgery
- Knee arthroscopy
- Knee ligament reconstruction (ACL, MPFL)
- Hip & knee revision surgery
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Member of the Australian Medical Association (AMA)
- Overseas Affiliate Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Honorary Lecturer at University of Melbourne
- Adjunct Lecturer at Monash University
- Squadron Leader – ADF Health Reserves (RAAF)
- Australian Faculty Member & Chairperson – AO Trauma; Basic Principles of Fracture Management Course 2019-2020
- OTC South Pacific(Osteosynthesis and Trauma Care)
Director of education
- AO Recon Hip and Knee Replacement Course (faculty)